Direct Marketing, Mail Order, and E-commerce News from the National Mail Order Association
7 Ways to Recession-Proof Your Online Content
With the downturn in the economy encompassing nearly every aspect of our lives, businesses large and small are feeling the pinch. MarketingSherpa recently published a survey stating that over 60% of large companies are planning on slashing their marketing budgets significantly this year.
With smaller marketing budgets, companies are hunting for cost-effective, measurable solutions to sagging sales figures. This naturally leads to online marketing in order to generate new prospects and customers. The goal is to recession-proof your online content and marketing.
"It all starts with a powerful, search engine-friendly website that converts," says Jon Wuebben, author of "Content Rich: Writing Your Way to Wealth on the Web" (Encore Publishing). "Companies today need to focus on the words they use to communicate with their prospects and how they leverage this content to maximize their online exposure. When more companies are chasing fewer prospects, you need to ensure your online copy is strong and that you’re using the viral nature of the web to promote it.”
Wuebben says if you want to harness the power of cost-effective online marketing, there are 7 steps to follow:
1. Embrace the Basics: Web Content 101. Start with the easy stuff. Take a look at your existing copy. How is your site performing? If you haven’t done it yet, perform some keyword research and use Google Analytics – how are visitors making their way through the site?
2. Expand the Breadth of Your Content. A few years ago, a website was all you needed. But the web has continued to evolve. Are you writing optimized press releases? How about a newsletter? Do you have a blog? Consider these other ways of recession-proofing your online content and marketing.
3. Create New Content Directed at Your Existing Customer Base. Building your relationship with current customers is huge. Consider newsletters or email marketing. This is money in the bank during a recession. Develop new content and then get it to those who are most likely to respond.
4. Put Together a Content Distribution Strategy. What channels are you using for your online copy? All linking happens because of great content that everyone wants to be a part of. Get your optimized content out there. Use search engine optimization (SEO) techniques. Start blogging. If you have a great product, consider an affiliate network.
5. Leverage Your Content. Once you write a blog post, a press release, a web page, an article or a white paper, you can use it in other ways. Of course, you don’t want to use it verbatim – change it up so you don’t have duplicate content. Ideas need to be communicated in different ways. Don’t re-write it every time – leverage it. It’s a great way to recession-proof your online content and marketing.
6. Optimize Your Online Content for Social Media. What types of content are hot on sites like Digg, Stumble Upon and Facebook? Submit this exact content so you can get in the game and maximize response.
7. Make Your Content “Conversion-Friendly” - Ask for the Sale. Make sure that the copy includes specific "calls-to-action" which compel your visitors to the next step in the sale. Are the words "Order Now" next to your product? How about “get your free newsletter" now? Add these calls-to-action so visitors will take a more active and involved approach.
If you have a site that converts visitors into buyers and continually improve the conversion rate, you decrease your cost per acquisition and spend less on advertising. In Wuebben's book "Content Rich: Writing Your Way to Wealth on the Web" he also emphasizes a good balance between design and copy and improving usability to impact website conversion. "The combination of winning copy, strategic SEO and off-page factors will put your website on the right track to make your business a success – no matter what the economy is doing."
About Jon Wuebben
Jon Wuebben is a veteran copywriter, speaker, entrepreneur and online marketing leader. He has an MBA in International Marketing from Thunderbird, The American Graduate School of International Management and a BS in Management from California State University, Chico. The company he founded, Custom Copywriting, is one of the fastest growing content providers in the industry (www.customcopywriting.com.) Custom Copywriting has written website copy for hundreds of companies in many different industries since 2003. His articles on online marketing, SEO copywriting and other topics can be found on thousands of sites across the web. “Content Rich: Writing Your Way to Wealth on the Web” is his first book and is aimed at helping businesses write their own content and learning the tricks of SEO copywriting and online marketing. www.contentrichbook.com
Advertising- Bridal Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Christian Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Hispanic/Latino Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Hispanic/Latino Market Advertising Guide- Master Series
Advertising- Home Furnishing and Decor Advertising Guide
Advertising- Home Gardening Advertising Guide
Advertising- Parenting Market Advertising Guide
Advertising-Pet Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Woman's Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- How to Create Great Small Business Advertising
Call Centers- Telephone Order Taking Services
Catalogs- Catalog and E-commerce Benchmarks
Catalogs- The Catalog Strategists Toolkit
Catalogs- Directory of Mail Order Catalogs
Catalogs- Top 150 Catalogs in the United States
Classified Advertising- How to Market using Classified Ads
Direct Mail- Copywriters and Creative Services Guide
Direct Mail- Directory of Major Direct Mailers
Direct Mail- Inside Direct Mail Newsletter
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Seminars and Events
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Statistics
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Response Rates
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Toolkit
Direct Marketing- Industry Contact Directory
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Speakers
Fulfillment- Warehouse and Order Fulfillment Centers
Mailing Lists- Direct Mail and E-mail Lists
New Products for Direct Marketers to Sell
Product Marketing- Promote your Product to Catalog and Direct Marketing Companies.
Product Marketing- How to Market a Product for Under $500
Start a Home Based Mail Order Business- Direct Marketing Toolkit
Wholesale and Drop Shipping- Professional Wholesale Resource Guide
Wholesale Search Engine
Direct Marketing and Mail Order Bookstore
National Mail Order Association Home
Direct Marketing Article Archive
Direct Marketing News